Friday, February 8, 2013

Psylocke

Uncanny X-Men 467 - Cover by Chris Bachalo


I love my job.

Seriously. When I am trying to get a blog post together for my adoring fans, I have a simple process.

Google "blue chicks" or "purple chicks" or "red chicks" or "half naked succubus chicks in leather". I'd love to see what the authorities think about my search history. Anyway, then I proceed to scroll down to about page 50, having exhausted the first 49 pages. Then, I try finding a cool looking colored chick, then, once I've found one worth blogging about, I start searching for more images of her. Yeah. And in the meantime, save up any other random pics I can find for later perusal.

A lot of times, there's just one or two images, especially on the more obscure or unique characters created by low level artists (and by low level I don't mean in talent, just visibility and popularity by the masses). Since I've done a lot of the most popular blue chicks, the pickings tend to be of the onesy-twosy variety.

But sometimes, I hit on a chick I haven't done yet, that has a wealth of pictures, and then....then....I am in My Blue Heaven.

Like with Psylocke.

Yeah, she doesn't have blue skin. BUT...she has purple hair, a pink psychic knife, a hot blue suit (well, half a suit...yum) and she IS (starting in 1989) Japanese. But that is neither here nor there. Because, she is blue enough, purple enough, pink enough, and most importantly...HOT enough for me.

I love my job.

It was tough trying to pick out the images for this post. Because there are a lot. Now, I grew up (so to speak, since I never really grew up) with Psylocke of the early 90s - before the explosion of amazing pictures that started with McFarlane and Larsen and just got better and better. But man, I've been gone from comics for long enough that I was amazed at the imagery out there of our beloved Betsy.


Glen Angus did the picture above. He was an artist who passed away at the much too young age of 36. There is a very nice remembrance page on Wizards of the Coast website, as he was involved with the Magic: The Gathering line and did images for the WotC folk. I would say it is one of my favorites of Psylocke.

This next one is by Alex Garner, and is the cover for "Sword of the Braddocks". He has done a ton of stuff. In fact, I should probably do an Artist of the Month on him, if I can squeeze him in.

This is one of my favorites of Psylocke (sorry, Glen. But I'm not a monogamous hot art lovin' sort of guy). The lighting on the sword is great - the look of determination - the J-Pop hand gesture (or maybe it's a gang sign?) - the...guh...belly button.

Pretty much, nothing wrong with this picture at all.

Which makes it kind of hard to continue, because the high level of quality on this pic makes it stand up there (heh...that's not the only thing standing up). So rather than continuing with something to try and rival it, I'm going to switch gears and go with...

Yup. Cosplay.

VampBeauty
There is a lot of cosplay out there. Lots of really bad, really poorly done cosplay. I found one other contender to this girl, but ultimately, VampBeauty won the contest. Check this factoid: She made her costume. And this one: That is her real hair. Yeah. She grew it out for 3 years, then colored it herself. That kind of dedication alone is enough for me. You really....really....reallyyyyyy should check out her blog. Or, if you're just that patient, I will definitely be giving her her own post in the not so distant future.

Moving right along, because this is already going a lot longer than I had thought it would...



Mmmm...Statuette of Psylocke (photo by noysan3001)



I don't think I can talk much about this. I mean, I'm not saying I would do a resin statue, but...












Let's see what I have left to share with you.

Yeah, this is tough. I've got comic panels, I've got cover art, I've got realistic, absurd, over-the-top sexy, and a ton more fan art. I just don't know what else to add. I'll give you these to finish up:


The Realistic, by Lenadro Franci. And note - in this age of digital art, this is an actual painting.


The Stylized Comic-y, by Bruce Timm

...and the Fan Art. Pencils by AdrianaMelo, color by PriscllaTR (Formerly noprip)

Well, true blue-eivers, I hope you enjoyed this trip down purple-hair lane. And remember - if you have a problem with the fact that Psylocke doesn't have blue, purple, or other colored skin...I'll have her go and use her psychic knife to remind you why you SHOULD like her.

Yeah.



4 comments:

  1. This is a job? :)

    There's enough purple here for me. I'll allow it.

    There was a purple-skinned villain named Purple Man, but to my recollection, there wasn't a heroine or a villainess with purple skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, dear reader. Do what you love and the money will follow. And if you make enough at that, then you can do what you REALLY love and call it a "job". And fool the masses into thinking that blogging about Blue Chicks pays the bills.

      Cuz it does. Honest.

      Delete
  2. And, may I add that Vampy can bite me any time she wishes

    ReplyDelete