Friday, March 25, 2011

Maria Maschinenmensch - Metropolis


Maria - Metropolis
Ahhhh, 1927. A great year for German expressionist films. Probably the most famous old school Sci-Fi movie, and the best known role of Brigitte Helm, who played Maria, the hot chick who the Machine Man was given the appearance of. I don't know if this was the first hot robot chick, but I haven't found any earlier references for my Metallic March series, so this is what you get.

I actually don't have that much to say about the movie or the chickie, but what I will say is that she has inspired me to start putting together a month of robot/android/gynoid/artificially constructed babes for the future. So I'm gonna get going and start searching out the best of the best for you, my loyal readers. Viewers. Pervs. Whatever.





I can't even begin to say how wrong this is.

 

2 comments:

  1. Just recently found this site, been going through your archives when I found this one.
    You'd be hard pressed to find any earlier machine babes as although Cyber Maria isn't the first machine woman, she is the first in filmography history.

    Any earlier you'll have to hunt down photos of Rossum's Universal Robots by Karel Čapek, the play that actually coined the word Robot.
    Also are the clockwork creations of Tanaka Hisashige, who amongst his many works made a small serving lady that would walk across a table holding a tea-cup, wait for the person to drink their tea, then take the empty cup back across the table.
    And, good luck finding pictures of it, the Silver Lady. An old clockwork ballerina that inspired Charles Babbage to go forth and design the blueprints of the first ever computer.

    Finally, on the subject of Maria, the natural colouration of her was the gold-brass you see in the posters. Sadly, most people assume it was iron-silver due to Metropolis's monotonic nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frog Queen, for your green two cents! I appreciate the info and take your observations to heart. As you may have noticed, I've taken a hiatus from Blue Chicks (right now, the obsession is Legos. You'd be amazed at how expensive it is to build a full sized model of Aayla Secura out of blue Legos...).

      This seems very interesting though, and I think you may have inspired me! Appreciate the input and thanks for visiting.

      Delete